Welcome!

Here, I intend to write what comes to my mind about India. This could be about anything, politics, religion, movies or remote happenings. Feel free to check this blog for updates, who knows some could be of some interest to you.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

NO VOTE for THE TAJ


Wah Taj...

No wonder it's a wonder. No one can dispute the fact that its a moon on earth...

I am getting poetical, why not, the very sight of this marvel can turn a dud like me to Wordsworth. I had visited the Taj a couple of years back, a dream I had since childhood.

By now, you must be wondering why I titled this post as 'NO VOTE...' ? It's just to make sure that I have the Taj to visit after a few decades too, to make sure that we have the Taj for coming generations too to admire.

We have seen terrorist threats to the Taj in the recent past and earlier too. The threats are because its a world wonder. A sore in the eye of destructive minds. The moment it enters the list of 7 wonders, the threat will increase. Am I scared of terrorists, no, I am scared of losing the fragile beauty. No technology can re-construct it. As Navjot Sidhu would say, 'It's better to prepare and prevent than repair and repent'.

This is just one of the reasons, the second is because I think we(Indians) are not as keen and serious in taking care of the monument as much as we are keen on winning the race to enter into the top-7 wonders. Yamuna on which's banks the Taj glows is now almost an industrial drainage. Not many know how important the health of the river is for the survival of Taj Mahal not aesthetically but scientifically. There are some architectural reasons behind it. I have seen permanent inscriptions by our modern Shah Jahans who visit the Taj expressing their love on the floor/walls (I am sure and hope long back and not anymore) of Taj Mahal.


Finally, VOTE, I think we must learn to vote right at the right moment to the right people than just participate and jump into the bandwagon of 'yes' votes. I am pointing to the current government that is ruling the state of Uttar Pradesh where Taj Mahal is. The CM, Mayawati was accused and almost proved guilty on the Rs.175 crore Taj corridor case, which like all other high profile accusations died a natural death.


All these made me decide not to vote to make our beloved Taj as one of the 7 wonders.


Let us all make sure we preserve and protect it so that the world for a long time to come have an opportunity to say......वाह ताज (wah Taj!)....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Taj Mahal was created by a muslim dictator who after the construction killed the architect and cut off the hands of all the poor laborers who made this "master piece". On one side is poverty and famine and on other side is a dictator who wanted to build an enormous monument for his wife. !!!! Its a true wonder that we Indins still want to devote this as a wonder. Destroy the TAJ !!!!

Manjunath Shetty Subbaiah said...

Sreekanth,

I don't know what historical truth made you believe that the Taj Mahal was "created" by muslim dictator. It would be clear if you reference that claim. However, I would like to point you to this link which provides a different persception about Taj Mahal. Enjoy the reading at http://www.stephen-knapp.com/true_story_of_the_taj_mahal.htm

with regards,
Manjunath